Wednesday, January 31, 2007

solo show

one of the first things people ask me, especially photographers is "what kind of camera do you use?" To me thats like asking a painter "what kind of paintbrush do you use?" I know that seems like a retarded comparison but they are both irrelivant. It is not the camera that is used that means anything, its the process, the artist, the shot itself. I have a Hasselblad. I bought it mainly to be professional. If someone ever wanted me to shoot a wedding (got forbid) or a funeral (why dont we hire photographers for funerals?) or personal portraits i wanted a professional medium to offer. I didnt get the camera for myself, I got it for the prestige of it all, to show people that I should be taken seriously. I cant go on a professional photo shoot with my $200 sony digital camera (Thank you dustin pookie bear), or my polaroid sx70, though i would love to.......I have always been about minimalism. Not focusing on the technology of it all. I dont care about mega pixels, quality of lens, the only thing i care about is creating a photo that makes people recall a memory or changes the way they see the formal monotinous beauty in the world. I have only recently become obsessed with archival preserving methods. But even more than that, I have been concerned with the idea of the Holga. I know this toy has been around for a long time, its a huge trend right now in urban art. But I personally have never experimented with one. I am planning a solo show consisting of all brand new, never before seen photos using a holga with/without color lens'. I want to create photos that are raw, unperfected and full of vibrant color. I love the concept of a toy camera because it prooves (just like the use of a polaroid) that the camera is not essential to create a photo...its the eye of the artist that does ALL the work. the camera is a sidenote

No comments: